Wednesday, July 4, 2012

No Rise Bread in the Sun Oven

Today is hot. Sunny. and I have a craving for bread. Not the stuff from the store, which I have and is full of salt and sugar, but fresh bread from the oven. But it is hot, and sunny. I refuse to start the oven in the house when it is 98 degrees F outside and I have the air conditioner on.

This leaves me two options. No bread or use the sun oven. Earlier I cooked eggs (in the shell) and potatoes (they come out roasted) in the sun oven, but I still have sun left and the oven is already at 300 degrees F. So I needed a recipe for bread that could be ready right away, I didn't have time to wait for an hour or two (as all the recipes I looked at called for) for the dough to rise. So I went online and found this:


2 ½ C warm water
6 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp yeast
2 Tbsp oil
6 C flour (can use white or wholemeal)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

Stir water, yeast, sugar and oil together. Leave for 5 minutes until it becomes frothy on top. Add flour, salt and baking powder. Mix well. Knead. Roll out if making a pizza base or shape for use as buns / bread / loaf. Paint with oil or milk (if you can be bothered). Bake at 200 degrees Celcius for 10-15 minutes.

from  http://craftykin.blogspot.com/2008/10/back-as-promised-with-some-finished.html

The rolls are in the sun oven now and I have enough for a small loaf that will go in when they are cooked. Smells good!

No comments:

Post a Comment