Monday, May 7, 2012

Politeness Pays

Went for a walk tonight. Twilight at 11 p.m., soon it will be light most of the night.  When we walk I usually carry a plastic bag and we pick up things that can be recycled. Juice boxes (tetra packs), and aluminum/plastic/glass  (deposit and not.)  I aim for one Euro's worth of bottles and we had not quite reached that on our wanderings by the lake, glassy and reflective of the lights. Very pretty. So we wandered near the square and made our way back home, we were less than a block from home and I remarked that I wanted, "one more." We heard one drop to the ground. I looked across the street to see an aluminum (,15 cent deposit)  can rolling on the sidewalk. So we went to get it, I could tell that it came from an open window, where I knew two young men lived. This had happened before. So I called up, "Kiitos (thank you) and was rewarded with a large bottle (,40 cent deposit) we were happily amazed, so I called up again and they threw down another aluminum can. We were laughing on the way home, politeness pays!

1 comment:

  1. Love the imagery of walking at twilight (at almost 11 pm) and the glassy lake. And of course you are picking up trash as you go :).

    ReplyDelete