Saturday, March 24, 2012

Found In Kuopio, Finland

When I was growing up we walked everywhere. It was a combination of things. We had one car, which was fine since my Mom didn't drive and walking saved us money.  So I grew up finding things along the way. My Mom was the best at this, she could spot a coin (pen, paper money, nails you name it) from a distance and was always thrilled to pick it up. I never bought pens or pencils for myself until I was grown, I would find them in the hallways at school or on the street so I always had a motley collection in the pencil case in my binder.

Being here in Finland I am walking everywhere again, it feels familiar and I know I can do it. Some of the other skills are coming back to me, like finding things. Here are some of the things that I have found:

Handkerchief (nice blue one that I washed and am using, along with the ones a friend gave me before I left)
Umbrella (haven't used it yet)
Long sleeved black cotton sweater (works well over leggings)
Stretchy gloves (we used them as liners when it was -31 degrees C)
Hat (my daughter liked it better than the ones I brought, and would actually wear it)
Matches (at least four boxes worth, most of them full)
Cigarettes (an almost full box)
Beer (two cans, unopened)
Coins (a few)
Reflectors (we hang them from our jackets and purses for increased visibility)
Rubber bands (they are scarce)
String
Shorts (they fit my husband)

This is all in addition to the many cans/bottles that we found and returned for the deposit, and the flattened ones that we put in the recycle bin. Being good stewards of the earth can be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment