Thursday, January 12, 2012

Rapeseed Oil

Since we arrived I have been using one bottle of extra-virgin olive oil, tasty and useful. This oil is good for eating raw and is less useful for cooking. So I went to the store to get a bottle of Canola or other cooking oil. What did I find? Rapeseed oil! I have heard of it but didn't know anything about it. Wikipedia here I come!

So what did I find out? That Canola oil is a form of rapeseed oil, one bred to be less bitter for us to use. So now I can go back and get some. Interesting the things we learn!!


When I was at the supermarket the other day I noticed some fresh herbs and since I couldn't find the price I asked a gentleman that came by and grabbed one of them how much they cost. He said, most of them are 1,55 Euros (about $2.15) and I could see that the sign for oregano was 4.99 Euros. So I was able to buy fresh (hothouse I am sure) basil and thyme--I could smell the thyme all the way home...

In addition, Finland grows it's own lettuce, all of these come with a bit of dirt in a small cup so they stay fresh longer. Learning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment