Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Books

 When some of my favorite authors started to put out books that were only available as an e-book, I got really annoyed. No one was going to force me to read a book that way!! I felt excluded, behind the times and I don't like that. Despite the fact that many friends urged me to, "get a Kindle" or other e-reader, I refused. Didn't want to spend the money and didn't want to have one more thing to carry around. Besides, I would rather have something that would multitask.

Since books are so heavy I didn't bring any.

Reading is very important to me, so this was a difficult thing to do. On the other hand, it has forced me to figure out how to read e-books. I tried for a few weeks before we left to download the software to my computer so I could then download books from our local library. No go. Tried again, more concertedly when we got here as I had absolutely nothing to read (will have to check out the local library at some point) and was going into withdrawal.  So after some trials and tribulations (Firefox makes it hard to update some things!) I can now read Adobe Epub books, and Overdrive books. Found a new author that I really like, Linda Howard and will re-read some old favorites. Still have to wait for the book to be "returned" to the library so I can check it out, but it is all good. I can even return the books early, if I am done with them rather than letting them expire. Audio books are the exception to that, I downloaded a couple of them by accident and will have to wait for them to go on their own.

So I am still "getting" books from my local library. It doesn't cost anything, is very quick and I am a convert.

No comments:

Post a Comment